Friday, June 09, 2006

A Party-Time Necessity

The always-dapper Derek Schutz has declared June 9th the International Day of Drinking.

Challenge made, challenge accepted. Little did he know when he handed me the beverage I now hold that today I have come to play. Today I am bringing strictly A-Game.

After a breakfast of champions this morning (coffee, coke, and eggs) I went into the office. There was an empty case of beer in the bathroom garbage, and I figured that before I make any venomous comments about drinking on the job I should check our fridge. Sure enough, it was thick with beer. I mentioned our sudden alcohol surplus to my boss and his only answer was "Want one?"

The fact that we have fridays is proof that there is a God, and he is one awesome dude.

I've been asked many questions in my various jobs:
"Is that watermelon rotten?" (yes)
"Can I take these off your cart?" (no)
"What happened to the website?" (it sensed that I was enjoying life again)
"Can you get this ad done by tomorrow?" (only at the cost of my soul)
However, today was a first for "How are you for beer?" (good, working on my second)

I would say that anyone who had dealings with our office this afternoon should feel honoured that they were served by public servants avec les bieres, but upon further examination, that isn't as much of an hounour as you may think. There is an incredible amount of public service that happens under the influence of alcohol, and it's a fine-standing Canadian tradition. John A. MacDonald drafted the British North America Act while totally drunk. In fact, one can argue that he created Canada, served as it's Prime Minister, and then died in office without ever sobering up. Say what you like about that, but it sure beats the hell out of a war of independence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home