Sunday, May 21, 2006

Things that Happen in Saskatchewan

Less than 24 hours after arriving in Saskatchewan I was riding around Saskatoon in the box of a truck. Something about this felt very right. Don't worry, all the seatbelts were used, so it was perfectly legal. This is actual law in Saskatchewan, and if it isn't then everyone at least thinks it is.

Coffee with the extended family took a turn for the memorable when my cousin looked at me and said, "We made some swords out of rebar. Wanna go have a swordfight?" I said yes, obviously. When things got bloody, which didn't take long, the comment was made, "Please tell me none of us didn't see this coming." Thankfully we all did. Shortly thereafter, there was more rebar-swordfighting. Sometimes the only thing you learn from your mistakes is that they are very fun.

We were sitting down to lunch, and conversation turned to another small town and where it was. To illustrate the location of said town, Garrett grabbed a rectangular napkin and said "Pretend this is the map of Saskatchewan." It wasn't difficult to do - a square napkin is a map of Saskatchewan.

The drive home from Saskatoon is the least-interesting way that has ever been devised to spend three hours. I dispise it, which makes it a shame that I had to do it four times. It was worth it to help make my brother appear on our parents doorstep when he is really supposed to be in Ireland. He's calling it International Peekaboo, and I intend to start playing. Look Out.

I went to a lunch buffet, and one of the items was gravy. This was disturbing because I didn't think that there was anything else on the buffet that called out for brown sauce. Was it a dish on its own? Are they using gravy in new and bold ways out here? Are they just putting it on foods that would make it disgusting? As it turns out, it was the third option.

I flew here via Winnipeg. I have to fly back via Winnipeg. This has only reaffirmed in my mind that the Winnipe airport is an absolute hell-hole, just like the rest of the city. Winnipeg, if you steal my luggage again we are going to have to have words. By words I of course mean harsher ones than usual, which is saying something.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel I need to point out, I am the current leader in IPaB. With 2 points. 18 hour trips back to Canada, totally worth it.

Yeah, I read your blog. Good times.

7:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention all the girl on girl activity you saw in Saskatchewan (even in a car)

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahhh the napkin. wish i could have stayed longer...but as we all know, the chinease people were being slow and that waitress was a wench.....please tell me you didn't leave a tip! anyways to bad we didn't get to go on e tissy trip...but thanks for buying me lunch! next time i'll buy! ttyl evan.

p.s. thanks for the 'apex' analogy

6:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes the only thing you learn from your mistakes is that they are very fun.

Story of my life.

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home