Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Playoff Season

The strange thing about Canada is that anyone can be a hockey fan. Virtually everyone is. The Chinese guy that runs the nick-nack shop on Sommerset? Big Sens fan. The nhilist lookin' guy with the lip-ring and neck-tattoo? He's sure that the Habs can sweep their series.

Me, I don't have much interest in watching sports. However, I did learn last night that watching sports-fans is a riot. I live with one; James is a giant Habs fan. (Did you know that 'Habs' is short or "Habitons," the name of the team in french? I didn't before I moved here.) James' love of la belle equipe means that for the next few weeks I don't have a TV. James will be representing on our futon with the remote in a deathgrip every Habs game from now until they're eliminated. This would be considered a bad thing, if it weren't for the fact that watching James is way, way better than watching anything on TV.

Take last night. I'm in my room and James is at the other end of the house. I know the Habs are up by at least two because I've heard far more "YEAH!"s than "FUCK!"s. Sure enough when I come out at the end of the first period, it's 3-0 Habs. I go back to my room to school a co-worker in MSN Wheel of Fortune (Tanya, if you ever read this, HA! I RULE!) and when I next come out the game is in overtime and the score is 5-5.

I have never seen anyone more tense than my roommate was at that moment.

Referencing the score I ask "What happened?" and he cuts me off with a "don't worry about it." Of course, worrying about it is exactly what he's doing right now, but you can't let your team down by questioning their chances. It's like supporting the troops - questioning your team will only give comfort and support to those dirty wretched fundamentalist Hurricanes.

I consider saying more, but from the look in his eyes, speaking at this moment will get me beaten to death. I retreat to the comfort of my end of the house, only feeling safe to return when I hear the loudest "YEAH!" of the night, signaling that I will live another day.

Playoffs are only getting started! It's going to be an exciting season! This, my friends, is real reality TV.

1 Comments:

Blogger Maunder said...

Some excellent work here. I refer to watching a Habs game with me as "riding the rollercoaster."

Sharon will concur.

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home