Friday, June 16, 2006

Of the Highest Definition

I got HDTV the other day. The entire purpose of having a blog is for me to relate my feelings on topics, so I'd be doing a disservice to myself and to you, dear reader, if I didn't tell you every little thing that crosses my mind as a direct result of viewing programing in 16:9, 1080i resolution.

As an aside, before yesterday, I didn't even know what significance 16:9 or 1080i had to the televised world, or even if they were more than random numbers featuring punctuation and lower case letters like some kind of Missy Elliot/Timbaland joint. This sort of information is the foul knowledge that one must collect as penalty for wanting the most crystal clear programing.

The first surprise I got when I started watching TV in what I feel now is the manner God intended is that due to the relative dearth of HD programming, you find yourself watching things that you would never normally watch. DiscoveryHD, I'm looking at you here. For some reason the Discovery channel has decided that instead of the generally ass-kicking programming they run on their pesant station, on their HD station they won't run programming that is bad so much as it is bizare. For example, I watched a show about insects yesterday that was hosted by a man who sounded exactly like Jean Chretien. "Ah LA-kuh de-EZ buugs, AH-nu-duh mah EEN-gleesh EZ vur-EE mar-GE-nal." The guy actually goes to his home, Quebec, in an episode. After an episode about the beetles of the Amazon that are bigger than your head, Quebec bugs are just a letdown. As wacky as the premise for this show is, DiscoveryHD runs it all the time. You can catch it any time of the day as far as I can tell. I should know. It's HD, so I've been watching it.

One watches these programs because they feel obligated; like they have some kind of super-power. Me and my HD Superfriends have been given the power of SuperTV and it has allowed us to soar above the mouth-breathing, ignorant masses that walk aimlessly upon the earth and gaze uncomprehendingly at the wonders of the world they inhabit. We have been given Hi-Def World Cup soccer not as a blessing, but as a duty and we are thumbing our nose at the very balance of the universe if we do not watch the Netherlands play Côte d'Ivoire. HD is obviously not for those who lack strenght of will and character.

In case you're wondering (and by "you" I mean Brice and Rob) I have been reading a lot of Tycho's newsposts over at the Arcade recently. For those who don't meet the required geek quotient to know who I'm talking about, Tycho is a commentator on videogames who has become so excessively verbose in his writing that he is nearly unreadable. This makes him my hero in so many ways.

3 Comments:

Blogger DJ Bitterbarn said...

Bah. Sweden/Paraguay was much more, how you say, intense to watch. Specifically how it took Sweden almost the full 90 minutes before they actually managed to put ball to net.

And I will post again tomorrow (i.e. when I'm more awake) re: what you should likely read about HDCP and your future of TV. It actually manages to be both infuriating and hilarious at the same time.

6:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

EVAXN, U TROCK. I AM DRUCK. BACK FROM THE DNCU STAFF PARTY. IT WAS AWOEOMSE. I' WILL TALK YOUI YOU LAYERT. KEEOPY U[P YHR GOOD SHIT IN OTTAWA. TTYAL.!!!

10:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. When they say "druck" they are not kidding.

2:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home