Wednesday, June 28, 2006

The Green Machine

I've always identified with Luigi. You know, the Super Mario Brother? Wore green? Liked to jump on goombas and koopa troopi? The svelte, sophisticated brother of Mario? Yes, Mario always got all the credit, and the lead in all the 3D adventures, and apparently the last name too. I mean, they're the Mario Brothers. Does that make Mario "Mario Mario" and Luigi "Luigi Mario?"

Anyway, point of the story is that I always liked Luigi more than Mario. Perhaps it's because, growing up the yonger sibling, I was eternally relegated to "Player Two" status. I became so used to holding controller two and sitting on the right that I found it impossible to play any videogame sitting left of the screen. Even on Dance Dance Revolution I avoid the left platform, even when I'm the only one playing.

And let's be honest. If you're 22 and playing Dance Dance Revolution, you're playing alone.

Some might think that being Player Two would be like being a second class citizen. Not true. I have grown to relish my secondary status and I wear it as a badge of pride. Just like black people took ther term "nigger" and made it their own, I have taken back Player Two and made it something that I self-identify as. When I play Mario-themed games like Mario Kart or Super Smash Brothers I play as Luigi, even if more "Player Oneish" characters are available. I refuse to hold the first controller. I will not pick the game settings. My memory card goes in slot two and I am damn proud of it.

No, putting my memory card in slot two is not a euphemism for anal sex, but feel free to use it as thus in the future.

So this today is a rallying call to all my brothers out there who were given hand-me-down shoes and the second controller with the buttons that didn't always work right. Starting today the right hand side is the side of truth and dignity! Starting tonight green is the colour of pride. Starting tomorrow is a new day for the second player.

Second is the new first.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Evan,

I'm 23 and I never have to play DDR alone. Maybe it's you? It's nice to see that I can still get you at a distance.

7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home