Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Live From Italy

I am in Italy. Why the fuck am I in Italy? I honestly do not know. As near as I can tell, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Transit here took something like 36 hours. I haven't really slept during the duration except for some really terrible airplane sleep which is actually worse than no sleep at all. Thankfully I am now at the internet kiosk at our hotel and going to get some real in-a-bed sleep as soon as I have finished my duty of reporting to all of you.

Flew Saskatoon to Calgary to London. Actually spent more time flying over Canada than the Atlantic. It didn't really hit me that I was traveling overseas until I looked out the plane window over London; oh look, it's the bloody Tower of London. The Queen is somewhere down there. How did I not see this coming? I spent the entire stopover in Heathrow being in fuzzy awe of the fact that I was actually in London Fucking England. They had accents there. I was pretty excited. I paid fourteen bucks for a burger.

As an aside, when you've been awake for more than 24 hours your natural body feedback mechanisms start to betray you. I didn't realize I was hungry until I was eating; I had to assume that since I hadn't eaten for eight hours that I would require food. Right now I know I should be unconsious, but somehow I am awake and cognative enough to use a Euro-Keyboard where the m, a, w, and all punctuation is in ridiculous spots. I have a feeling that once I do go to bed I will sleep like the dead for approximately a month.

Italy is nice so far. The guy that owns our hotel speaks no english, the weather is good, and taxis are a great idea because the lady at the currency exchange booth gives you the wrongest directions possible to where your hotel is. Tomorrow the brother and I are going to the cathedral district of Florence where, apparently, you cannot swing a cat without hitting a piece of fucking sublime art. Yes, I will and have been taking pictures, though most of the ones already taken are of German design and efficiency, and of my brother peeing without the use of his hands.

Really. I'll post the picture soon.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sunny D said...

How exciting! I've been reading your blog for a couple of months and I can't wait to hear all about your trip. Get some rest and keep us updated.

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, super jealous!!!
Take pictures of the pieces of art that have crusty and formerly flung cats on them!

7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget the headbutts!!

2:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home