Monday, January 15, 2007

Cracker Angst

I went down to my local curry hut ("Curry in a Hurry," best possible name for a curry hut) for lunch today. I got some delicious curry with a side of narrow minded racism.

It started out like any other normal commercial exchange. I'd like a chicken curry please. Thank you. Then the nice lady across the counter tells me, "It's spicy."

For a second I was simply confused about why she would tell me this. Of course it's spicy. It's curry. Curry is spicy. Moreover, it's Indian food. Indian food runs the full spectrum of flavour from "spicy," to "very spicy," through "this is painfully spicy," right up to "dear Ganesha's tusk, why does something so spicy exist?" A true diasapora of flavour to be certain. It should be impossible for a person to walk into a curry hut not knowing that they are about to eat something that is spicy. So why inform me of this?

Then it hit me. It is because I am white. If a brown person came in there and ordered the curry she'd give it to them without hesitation, but apparently crackers can't be trusted to know what they're ordering. Such blatant discrimination, and on Martin Luther King Jr. day too. For shame, Curry in a Hurry. I don't know about you, but I for one look forward to a day when I won't be judged by the colour of my skin.

In protest, I will have the butter chicken next time I go for curry. The curry was a little too spicy.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that she clearly did not hear our rendition of "This Is How We Do" and therefore has labelled you incorrectly as a 'cracker'.
Next time you're in there and she drops an, 'it's spicy' type comment, you simply stone-face reply, "Bitch, I ain't no crackah!"

People like that sort of thing.

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home