Saturday, September 16, 2006

Regarding the Infamous Post that is No Longer There

As the previous post's comment thread showed, a few of you did notice my now-deleted post regarding what happened in Montreal the other week. Wow, you guys are on this blog thing. I figured that since I didn't manage to ninja it out before it went public, I should address why it was there, and why it's not.

The post was written in the first place because I'm still a slightly-bitter product of the post-Columbine era. Get labeled as a "risk" in highschool, and you'll know what I mean. The point is that whenever some kid goes berserk and starts shooting up his school, people start saying stuff and none of it is what needs to be said. People look for victims and monsters, but just like everything else, the truth isn't so neatly defined. Everyone is a victim because everyone is a monster. Nobody is innocent and nobody deserved it. Just as much as some people should be blamed for being cruel, others should be blamed for not recognizing that your life is your responsibility and if you choose to define yourself by the cruelty of others then it's no one's fault but your own.

If the Montreal shooter had been a student of that school who just couldn't bear the thought of going back for another year in what he felt was his own personal hell, then the post I had up would have been, to me at least, justified. In a situation like that I can give equal implication to the shooter and the students; the shooter one big pile of blame for letting his life run off the rails, the students a lot of blame divided over a thousand tiny teenage cruelties. That's the situation I was expecting, and the situation I wrote the deleted post in anticipation of.

Unfortunately, that's not the way things went down. The shooter wasn't a student, he was 25. The kids at that school had never done a thing to him. He wasn't looking for revenge, just blood and police-assisted suicide. Not only did that bastard ruin lives, he ruined perhaps the best-written post I have ever made here. That jerk.

Anyway, there's stuff that needs to be said about this situation, but it's not what I had written. There's people that need to say it, but they're not me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

*puts on her serious face*

This post was so not what I was expecting to read when I checked here today being "International Talk Like a Pirate Day;" there's just so little swashbuckling.

11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home